Saturday, February 19, 2022

Advice: Umm's The Word!?

Photo Credit: www.play.google.com Hello Everyone! I noticed an emergency alert for a quick snow squall on this Saturday evening here in New York City!! Come on spring time, baby! I'd like the weather to be a combo of spring and fall all year round. The summers and winters are a little extreme for my taste. Then again, you need some extremes in order to enjoy the calmer moments. I thank you kindly for checking out my son John's "Call To Action Marketing" (hashtag #CTAMarketing) business! I will have to blog about my first two weeks on a project as a Site Safety Manager very soon. For this blog post, I'm offering some good 'ole village elder advice that I posted to Quora. Let me know if you appreciate or absolutely hate my advice? I have wide construction shoulders and can take on your feedback. :) I will admit that some days I would not be interested in reading a person's verbal diarrhea. I'm glad you don't mind reading my verbal diarrhea. :P As I have stated before, I'm open to any of your topic suggestions if you offer them to me. This topic is on the reasons as to why people say "umm" in their speech. Of course, you know I gave a giant list of different scenarios. I sometimes laugh heartily in my head when I hear a person say umm in either each sentence or every other word. You never know what is going on in a person's life. You never know the other things that clog up a person's mental real estate. A person could be overwhelmed with a major life tragedy. The last thing a person is concerned about is some extra filler words in their dialogue. As a younger woman, I probably was more judgmental on the term. The older I get, the less I care about petty things like that. I often see the "Grammar Nazis" who come out in full force on fellow strangers on the internet. At the end of the day, it is NOT a BIG DEAL!!! Perhaps people who feel the need to correct others get a sense of superiority? Does the person correcting a person really think the offender will appreciate their intervention? Another gift of getting older is that I don't need to always correct people. Let people figure things out petty things for themselves. If you correct someone on the internet, you are only perceived to be embarrassing them. There is no real lesson learned through public humiliation. If it doesn't impact me negatively, it really doesn't need to be corrected. People make mistakes all of the time. I'm not counting a person's umms and revealing it to them. Well, maybe I would for the sake of a laugh...LOL! Let's not forget that blessed autocorrect feature! Does the use of umm bother you? If so, I'd love to hear exactly how it impacts your life? I would find that type of feedback to be absolutely fascinating if you do indeed exist. Without giving much more of the store, let's read my view on the topic. Check out the posed question and my own response down below: POSED QUESTION: "Why do people always say "umm" when in a speech?" -By Jerry Joo MY RESPONSE: "“Umm” is a well-regarded filler word when you are in between thoughts. This filler word gives a person time to formulate the next thought. It fills the void of silence. Over time, this filler word comes out on a subconscious way. Meaning, you don’t even realize that you are uttering the words until after it leaves your lips. It takes some effort to try to avoid using “umm” in dialogue. I am very guilty of using this useless term when I’m unprepared during my #VerballyDisastrous podcast. I am actively working on eliminating that term from my vocabulary. When I write out my thoughts before speaking to record, my use of “umm” goes down dramatically. I don’t believe that the use of the term “umm” is indicative of intelligence. In fact, you can be sorting out multiple scenarios in your mind. These mental computations can take a few seconds to sort through. In your mind’s perspective, it may even feel like minutes and hours to either one or all parties in a conversation. At the end of the day, the term is not offensive and won’t hurt anyone. Thank goodness for those small benefits! :P You just have to give some patience to a person who is using this term. Give them some time to sort out their thoughts and even return to the original conversation later on. The subject matter may be intimidating for the speaker. Therefore, she/he is using “umm” a lot because she/he is getting flustered and her/his mind is shutting down. Some people may say umm since they have chosen at the last second to withhold information that they were initially going to share. The worst case scenario is a person who is actively in the middle of telling the biggest lie on the planet and ran out of some sketchy details. When you have to fact check your own manufactured lie(s), there can be a microsecond delay within the midst of the foolery. You can’t forget the tongue-tied person who is intoxicated on drugs and/or alcohol. A tired person who burns the candle at both ends can be entirely too tired to offer complete sentences. Give them all a moment to collect their thoughts or have them dry out and reconnect with them tomorrow. Basically, it’s not the end of the world for umm users. Additionally, there are many reasons for umm use. May you do your best to rigorously avoid using this filler word. #ConstructionTales” -By Leslie M. Jasper https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-always-say-umm-when-in-a-speech/answer/Leslie-Jasper-3?prompt_topic_bio=1 Thanks for making that move to review my Quora advice. I very much appreciate you stopping by! Let me know, in the comment section below, if you either like or dislike my advice? By the way, I'm also sharing my latest (8) podcast episodes that are listed down below from The Verbally Disastrous Podcast, via links for Spotify & YouTube down below. If you are into reading on a Kindle, check out my newest short story release that belongs to my Construction Tales-Told By A Woman Kindle Vella Library short story series on Amazon down below. This new short story #11 is entitled, "Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools". This short story covers my life as a widowed, single mother in the era when I juggled both motherhood and my career as a journeywoman electrician. The previous short story is #10 is entitled, "Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice". If anyone has read any of my other previous short stories, by all means, let me know what you think? Check out the links for my book #ConstructionTales down below. I need to go work on some more tasks and maybe even a nap (I doubt it though). Enjoy your Saturday now that we are right back in the middle of President's Day weekend. I wish you a great morning/afternoon/evening on your side of the globe and a restful or productive day!
Photo Credit: Call To Action Marketing Logo- John Collazo, CEO Link To Construction Tales: Volume I: A Woman's Journey To Become An Electrician (Paperback & Kindle) On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Construction-Tales-Womans-Journey-Electrician/dp/1467960160 Link To Construction Tales: A Young Person's Guide To Accomplish Anything In Life (Paperback & Kindle) On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Construction-Tales-Persons-Accomplish-Anything/dp/1497593115 U.S.A.: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/B07P5PNCS7/?source_code=AUDFPWS0223189MWT-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_us United Kingdom: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/B07P5PP7RW/?source_code=AUKFrDlWS02231890H6-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_uk France, Belgium, Switzerland: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.fr/pd/B07P7RYP4G/?source_code=FRAORWS022318903B-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_fr Germany, Austria, Switzerland: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.de/pd/B07P8W3MVY/?source_code=EKAORWS0223189009-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_de VERBALLY DISASTROUS PODCAST EPISODE LINKS: Here is the link to the Verbally Disastrous Podcast on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/2dFYgX4dUiHaMfJ4gigLY0?si=KcR-D8RyRnKGk1wuPOqa1Q&dl_branch=1 Verbally Disastrous Season #1, Ep. #41: Part A- Working On The Railroad With The Tools As A Chick! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Q1G4Y14pAiw Verbally Disastrous Season #1, Ep. #42: Part B- Working On The Railroad With The Tools As A Chick! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Nsbehf3Fbh0 Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #43: Part A- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/6XzVL9ybKHA Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #44: Part B- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/TFDLB5talUo Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #45: Part C- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/nYRVJNya0lU Verbally Disastrous! Season #2, Episode #46:Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice On YouTube: https://youtu.be/IcQ4-uGankA Verbally Disastrous Podcast! S#2, Ep. #47: Part A- Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools on YouTube: https://youtu.be/qWhf4lGmcXo Verbally Disastrous Podcast! S#2, Ep. #48: Part B- Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools on YouTube: https://youtu.be/wO8nXSRw7sU I recently shared my latest short story that has been loaded up to my Construction Tales-Told By A Woman Kindle Vella Library on Amazon. This is short story #11 entitled, "Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools". This short story covers my life as a widowed, single mother in the era when I juggled both motherhood and my career as a journeywoman electrician. I share the various challenges I faced and lessons learned along the way. The previous short story is entitled: #10: "Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice". I decided to write about some life lessons such as guarding your personal information, managing nasty rumors, combating sexual harassment, gender discrimination, and racism. Overall, the construction culture has improved dramatically over the past 25-years. Developing both a thick skin and a sharp tongue are key tools needed to survive various jobsite antics. I hope you learn something from this short story. There are more to come. These short stories are now also available as Verbally Disastrous podcast episodes. Construction Tales- Told By A Woman: (11) Kindle Vella Short Stories On Amazon!! https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/product/B096N8NSGM The Verbally Disastrous Store On Tee-Spring:
https://my-store-c1f946.creator-spring.com Cheers! Leslie M. Jasper -Author And Host of the #VerballyDisastrous podcast now alive on many platforms that include: Acast, Amazon Music, Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Breaker, Castbox, Deezer, Google Podcasts, I Heart Radio, Listen Notes, Overcast, Pandora Podcasts, Player FM, Pocket Casts, Pod Bean, Podchaser, Podcast Addict, Podcast Gang, Radio Public, Reason, Soundcloud, Soundtrap, Spotify, Stitcher, Tune In, and YouTube. -The Audio Blog: Verbally Disastrous Podcast And Construction Tales Blog. Now available on: Acast, Amazon Music, Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Breaker, Castbox, Deezer, Google Podcasts, I Heart Radio, Listen Notes, Overcast, Pandora Podcasts, Player FM, Pocket Casts, Pod Bean, Podchaser, Podcast Addict, Podcast Gang, Radio Public, Reason, Soundcloud, Spotify, Stitcher, and Tune In. #PhotacularImagery, #KindleVella, #FreeBritney, #AmazonMusic, #AnastasiaTaranenko, #Fiverr, #Tad_Art, #PandoraPodcasts, #Soundtrap, #ConstructionTales, #audio, #intro, #fun, #hot, #mess, #creations, #Connecticut, #NewYork, #family, #foolery, #podcast, #Spotify, #VerballyDisastrous, #new, #topics, #howto, #secrets, #women, #powerful, #strong, #shorts, #men, #teen, #trynottolaugh, #edgy, #realistic, #explicit, #mature, #shocking, #thoughtprovoking, #fresh, #dark, #mustwatch, #Soundcloud, #YouTube, #Johnny, #creative, #IABX, #Reddit, #community, #Leslie@VerbDisastrous, #strongwomen, #womaninconstruction, #empower, #gender, #ICanDOIT, #femalerenovator, #renovation, #project, #womanconstructionproject, #strong, #slideshow, #2013Project, #learnbywatching, #girlpower, #sheetrock, #tape, #electrical, #plumbing, #tile, #dust, #dirt, #debris, #basement, #paint, #renovate, #insulation, #hihats, #wiring, #metalstuds, #screws, #workout, #Johnny, #promo, #videos, #creative, #sons, #discusswithmom, #topics, #Tom, #openconversation, #Johnny, episodes, #LotLizard, #AmazonPrime, #video, #documentary, #Netflix, #gorillaglue, #gorilla, #glue, #spray, #gorillagluewoman, #hair, #hairsurgery, #LosAngeles, #DrObeng, #plasticsurgeon, #alcoholic, #drinks, #testing, #episodes, #release, #soon, #alcoholic #samples, #RevelStoke, #NewAmsterdam, #PinkWhitney, #WickedPickle, #BirdDog, #blackberry, #whiskey, #vodka, #99Bananas, #OleSmokey, #Tswoooh23_, #videogaming, #streaming, #OSHA502, #renewal, #trainthetrainer, #RIT, #Anchor, #Breaker, #GooglePodcasts, #PocketCasts, #RadioPublic, #article, #life, #apprentice, #ComedyCentral, #skit, #JessaReid, #ApplePodcasts, #Deezer, #Podchaser, #PodBean, #TuneIn, #Castbox, #PlayerFM, #iHeartRadio, #Stitcher, #Acast, #PodcastGang, #PodcastAddict, #ziplining, #AdventurePark, #presskit, #SayNoToRapists, #JusticeForUwa, #NotAllGirlsPlayWithDolls #Scholastic #nonfiction #bookstagram #DropEverythingAndRead #SpringBookFair2021 #LoveOfReading #Reading #ConstructionTales #books #funny #NYC #podcast #Spotify #VerballyDisastrous #bookfair #bookjoy #ReadAnywhere #LoveToRead #AllForBooks #Adult #FBF21 #LBF21 #BEA21 #IKBF21 #KLF21 #HKTDC21 #GBF21 #IIBF21 #LATFOB21 #SIBF21 #FILBO21 #EIBF21 #BAIBF21 #MIBF21 #BIDLDSP21 #BS21 #BBF21 #HIBF21 #IBTAF21 #IBBF21 #ITEF21 #JLF21 #JIBF21 #LBF21 #NDWBF21 #TiBE21 #TIBF21 #BCBF21 #LIVREPARIS21 #SDLDM21 #HBF21 #FIL21 #IIBF21 #SBF21 #BuchWein21 #VIBF21 #ADIBF21 #AIPF21 #bookstagram #book #bukuislami #b #bukumurah #islamicbookfair #buku #booklover #bukusejarah #buchberlin #booklove #cher #bookshelf #internationalbookfair #bookholic #jualbuku #jualbukumurah #reading #obralbuku #bukuindie #bukujogja #tokobukumurah #buchmesse #langka #pasarbuku #bukulangka #bhfyp #jualbelibukuonline #onlineshop #jualanonline #booklovers #anresbooks #readingbooks #booksofinstagram #boekuitstalling #buch #bookish #buchberlinkids #tokobukuonline #boimela #lesen #bookworm #poetry #gontor #fbm #bazarbuku #bookreview #berlin #read #writer #berlinerbuchmesse #buchmesseberlin #author #instabooks #boekverkoping #virtualbookfair #bookaddict

No comments:

Post a Comment