Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Advice: My Thoughts On Woke-ism

Photo Credit: www.newsrnd.com Hello Everyone! How are you making out on your Wednesday afternoon!? Hopefully, you have a smooth day as you finish out your work shift/home obligations. I'm having a day where I'm fasting today. I am fantasizing about having some food which is not good. Thankfully, there are no issues at work. Before I forget to mention it (just kidding!), please connect with my son John Collazo on his social media that is under his name for his "Call To Action Marketing" #CTAMarketing brand that he is building. For this blog post, I'm sharing with you some advice that is being delivered through my construction chick life lens. This Quora question is about the definition of 'wokism' and whether or not it is considered usually disparaging. I'm honestly conflicted about the term. While I find super sensitive people to be annoying, I do see their value. Over time, they manage to move the needle of an entire society towards a more tolerable group of people. You don't have to totally agree with people and their 'radical' thoughts, just let them have their section of the sandbox to do as they wish. As long as they don't hurt anyone and I don't have to live with them, I look away from radical folks. New generations pop up and become more tolerable of people and their quirks. What comes to mind when you hear this modern term? Let me know as to what you think of my view on the term in the comment section down below. I'd most certainly like to know how your culture helps to shape your view on this modern way of thinking? That would most certainly be amusing to me. Without giving away the store, go ahead and read the posed question and my advice on the phrase down in the comment section below: POSED QUESTION: "How would you define ‘woke-ism’? What do people mean when they refer to “wokeness”? When it is said, is it usually disparaging?" -By Barbara Young Capalbo MY RESPONSE: "Without even looking up the definition yet, I think of “wok-ism” as people, often young adults and teens, who are under the perception they are more enlightened and sensitive to societal concerns than their peers. In a way, I believe that these people are trying to push the needle towards social justice. Now, let’s look up the official definition. According to one definition, “woke(ism) is an English adjective meaning 'alert to racial prejudice and discrimination' that originated in African-American Vernacular English (AAVE). Beginning in the 2010s, it came to encompass a broader awareness of social inequalities such as sexism, and has also been used as shorthand for left-wing ideas involving identity politics and social justice, such as the notion of white privilege and slavery reparations for African Americans.” Some folks will accuse others of “virtue signaling” in response to speaking on hot societal topics. Virtue signaling is defined as: “the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.” Overall, I’m pleased to see a shift in the societal mindset in the 46 rotations I’ve made around the sun. It takes a society many years to make shifts in collective thought. However, some of the people I see are so sensitive. While I understand being respectful to others is a necessity (even if you don’t understand or agree), walking on egg shells shouldn’t be a regular occurrence either. In some discussions, there is talk about legal action against people who do not use your proper pronouns. In my mind, that is extreme and over the top. I don’t understand “cancel culture” either. It’s another form of banning speech that you don’t agree with in my mind. While it is good when it swings in your favor, beware of how much that will censor your own speech in the future. No matter how many social justice Tik Tok videos you create, you cannot get everyone to think exactly like you. As a brand-new adult back in the 1990’s, I remember not being happy with the mindset of society at that time. As a woman in construction for the past 29-years, I have encountered some social injustice. I did deal with some dudes who were trying to sabotage my career path since they didn’t want to see a woman in construction. I’ve been pushed to do tasks that normally two guys performed in an effort to “belong” there. I did see people, who didn’t share my skin color, who were treated differently as well in my presence. As a logical thinker, I’ve never understood the concept of judging a person based upon factors they can’t control, such as skin color. Instead, judge a person based upon logical metrics such as a person’s character. No one has yet to offer a logical pattern of thought for their prejudice towards others besides my parents or society has told me to think that way. Fast forward 30-years, there have been significant changes that I’ve experienced. The construction environment is probably the most raw and real environment to be submersed in. People have no filter and say exactly what the hell they want to say. To see the shift in that very raw mentality is quite impressive. I believe it is because each generation that comes up and replaces the older generation is a group that shares a more softened, understanding, open-minded viewpoint. Previous generations didn’t have the internet to share ideas or gain different perspectives. Your experiences were limited to what went on in your local community. It’s possible that having access to different perspectives tend to soften people’s previously hardened viewpoints. Previously, you only had your own personal encounters within your small sliver of society to experience. Nowadays, you can tap into any culture on the planet with just the click of a keyboard. While some folks find woke people to be annoying, I find value in them. For every wild swing of the woke pendulum, it eventually settles in a more neutral location over time. While I’m not a fan of an overly sensitive person, I embrace a person who exercises respect and common courtesy to their fellow man. May you find the equilibrium that you seek! #ConstructionTales #VerballyDisastrous EDIT: I failed to specifically say if the term woke-ism is disparaging when I hear it. I kind of roll my eyes when I hear the term. However, I see the value in this mentality since it shifts the societal status quo over time to a more tolerable level. Therefore, I have mixed feelings on the term.” -By Leslie M. Jasper https://www.quora.com/How-would-you-define-woke-ism-What-do-people-mean-when-they-refer-to-wokeness-When-it-is-said-is-it-usually-disparaging/answer/Leslie-Jasper-3?prompt_topic_bio=1 You are appreciated for quickly peeping my blog in between tasks today. Let me know your thoughts on MY thoughts (LOL)? I'm not claiming to be an expert on this subject matter at all. I don't believe experts are only invited to respond to the question. I'm not professing to even have the best answer. I'm only offering a viewpoint that may not have been previously considered. What's your take on the topic? Go ahead and drop your response down in the comment section below since other opinions are encouraged and embraced here on my website/blog. I'm sharing my latest (8) podcast episodes that come from The Verbally Disastrous Podcast, via links for Spotify & YouTube down below. If you read a Kindle, check out my newest short story release that belongs to my Construction Tales-Told By A Woman Kindle Vella Library short story series on Amazon down below. This new short story #11 is entitled, "Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools". This short story covers my life as a widowed, single mother in the era when I juggled both motherhood and my career as a journeywoman electrician. The previous short story is #10 is entitled, "Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice". If anyone has read any of my other previous short stories, by all means, let me know what you think? Check out the links for my book #ConstructionTales down below. I'm at work waiting for the work to get into full swing!! Have yourself a glorious Wednesday since we have reached the elusive Hump Day! I wish you a great morning/afternoon/evening on your side of the globe and a restful or productive day!
Photo Credit: Call To Action Marketing Logo- John Collazo, CEO Link To Construction Tales: Volume I: A Woman's Journey To Become An Electrician (Paperback & Kindle) On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Construction-Tales-Womans-Journey-Electrician/dp/1467960160 Link To Construction Tales: A Young Person's Guide To Accomplish Anything In Life (Paperback & Kindle) On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Construction-Tales-Persons-Accomplish-Anything/dp/1497593115 U.S.A.: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/B07P5PNCS7/?source_code=AUDFPWS0223189MWT-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_us United Kingdom: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/B07P5PP7RW/?source_code=AUKFrDlWS02231890H6-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_uk France, Belgium, Switzerland: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.fr/pd/B07P7RYP4G/?source_code=FRAORWS022318903B-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_fr Germany, Austria, Switzerland: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.de/pd/B07P8W3MVY/?source_code=EKAORWS0223189009-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_de VERBALLY DISASTROUS PODCAST EPISODE LINKS: Here is the link to the Verbally Disastrous Podcast on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/2dFYgX4dUiHaMfJ4gigLY0?si=KcR-D8RyRnKGk1wuPOqa1Q&dl_branch=1 Verbally Disastrous Season #1, Ep. #41: Part A- Working On The Railroad With The Tools As A Chick! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Q1G4Y14pAiw Verbally Disastrous Season #1, Ep. #42: Part B- Working On The Railroad With The Tools As A Chick! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Nsbehf3Fbh0 Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #43: Part A- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/6XzVL9ybKHA Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #44: Part B- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/TFDLB5talUo Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #45: Part C- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/nYRVJNya0lU Verbally Disastrous! Season #2, Episode #46: Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice On YouTube: https://youtu.be/IcQ4-uGankA Verbally Disastrous Podcast! S#2, Ep. #47: Part A- Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools on YouTube: https://youtu.be/qWhf4lGmcXo Verbally Disastrous Podcast! S#2, Ep. #48: Part B- Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools on YouTube: https://youtu.be/wO8nXSRw7sU I recently shared my latest short story that has been loaded up to my Construction Tales-Told By A Woman Kindle Vella Library on Amazon. This is short story #11 entitled, "Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools". This short story covers my life as a widowed, single mother in the era when I juggled both motherhood and my career as a journeywoman electrician. I share the various challenges I faced and lessons learned along the way. The previous short story is entitled: #10: "Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice". I decided to write about some life lessons such as guarding your personal information, managing nasty rumors, combating sexual harassment, gender discrimination, and racism. Overall, the construction culture has improved dramatically over the past 25-years. Developing both a thick skin and a sharp tongue are key tools needed to survive various jobsite antics. I hope you learn something from this short story. There are more to come. These short stories are now also available as Verbally Disastrous podcast episodes. Construction Tales- Told By A Woman: (11) Kindle Vella Short Stories On Amazon!! https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/product/B096N8NSGM The Verbally Disastrous Store On Tee-Spring:
https://my-store-c1f946.creator-spring.com Cheers! Leslie M. Jasper -Author And Host of the #VerballyDisastrous podcast now alive on many platforms that include: Acast, Amazon Music, Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Breaker, Castbox, Deezer, Google Podcasts, I Heart Radio, Listen Notes, Overcast, Pandora Podcasts, Player FM, Pocket Casts, Pod Bean, Podchaser, Podcast Addict, Podcast Gang, Radio Public, Reason, Soundcloud, Soundtrap, Spotify, Stitcher, Tune In, and YouTube. -The Audio Blog: Verbally Disastrous Podcast And Construction Tales Blog. Now available on: Acast, Amazon Music, Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Breaker, Castbox, Deezer, Google Podcasts, I Heart Radio, Listen Notes, Overcast, Pandora Podcasts, Player FM, Pocket Casts, Pod Bean, Podchaser, Podcast Addict, Podcast Gang, Radio Public, Reason, Soundcloud, Spotify, Stitcher, and Tune In. #PhotacularImagery, #KindleVella, #FreeBritney, #AmazonMusic, #AnastasiaTaranenko, #Fiverr, #Tad_Art, #PandoraPodcasts, #Soundtrap, #ConstructionTales, #audio, #intro, #fun, #hot, #mess, #creations, #Connecticut, #NewYork, #family, #foolery, #podcast, #Spotify, #VerballyDisastrous, #new, #topics, #howto, #secrets, #women, #powerful, #strong, #shorts, #men, #teen, #trynottolaugh, #edgy, #realistic, #explicit, #mature, #shocking, #thoughtprovoking, #fresh, #dark, #mustwatch, #Soundcloud, #YouTube, #Johnny, #creative, #IABX, #Reddit, #community, #Leslie@VerbDisastrous, #strongwomen, #womaninconstruction, #empower, #gender, #ICanDOIT, #femalerenovator, #renovation, #project, #womanconstructionproject, #strong, #slideshow, #2013Project, #learnbywatching, #girlpower, #sheetrock, #tape, #electrical, #plumbing, #tile, #dust, #dirt, #debris, #basement, #paint, #renovate, #insulation, #hihats, #wiring, #metalstuds, #screws, #workout, #Johnny, #promo, #videos, #creative, #sons, #discusswithmom, #topics, #Tom, #openconversation, #Johnny, episodes, #LotLizard, #AmazonPrime, #video, #documentary, #Netflix, #gorillaglue, #gorilla, #glue, #spray, #gorillagluewoman, #hair, #hairsurgery, #LosAngeles, #DrObeng, #plasticsurgeon, #alcoholic, #drinks, #testing, #episodes, #release, #soon, #alcoholic #samples, #RevelStoke, #NewAmsterdam, #PinkWhitney, #WickedPickle, #BirdDog, #blackberry, #whiskey, #vodka, #99Bananas, #OleSmokey, #Tswoooh23_, #videogaming, #streaming, #OSHA502, #renewal, #trainthetrainer, #RIT, #Anchor, #Breaker, #GooglePodcasts, #PocketCasts, #RadioPublic, #article, #life, #apprentice, #ComedyCentral, #skit, #JessaReid, #ApplePodcasts, #Deezer, #Podchaser, #PodBean, #TuneIn, #Castbox, #PlayerFM, #iHeartRadio, #Stitcher, #Acast, #PodcastGang, #PodcastAddict, #ziplining, #AdventurePark, #presskit, #SayNoToRapists, #JusticeForUwa, #NotAllGirlsPlayWithDolls #Scholastic #nonfiction #bookstagram #DropEverythingAndRead #SpringBookFair2021 #LoveOfReading #Reading #ConstructionTales #books #funny #NYC #podcast #Spotify #VerballyDisastrous #bookfair #bookjoy #ReadAnywhere #LoveToRead #AllForBooks #Adult #FBF21 #LBF21 #BEA21 #IKBF21 #KLF21 #HKTDC21 #GBF21 #IIBF21 #LATFOB21 #SIBF21 #FILBO21 #EIBF21 #BAIBF21 #MIBF21 #BIDLDSP21 #BS21 #BBF21 #HIBF21 #IBTAF21 #IBBF21 #ITEF21 #JLF21 #JIBF21 #LBF21 #NDWBF21 #TiBE21 #TIBF21 #BCBF21 #LIVREPARIS21 #SDLDM21 #HBF21 #FIL21 #IIBF21 #SBF21 #BuchWein21 #VIBF21 #ADIBF21 #AIPF21 #bookstagram #book #bukuislami #b #bukumurah #islamicbookfair #buku #booklover #bukusejarah #buchberlin #booklove #cher #bookshelf #internationalbookfair #bookholic #jualbuku #jualbukumurah #reading #obralbuku #bukuindie #bukujogja #tokobukumurah #buchmesse #langka #pasarbuku #bukulangka #bhfyp #jualbelibukuonline #onlineshop #jualanonline #booklovers #anresbooks #readingbooks #booksofinstagram #boekuitstalling #buch #bookish #buchberlinkids #tokobukuonline #boimela #lesen #bookworm #poetry #gontor #fbm #bazarbuku #bookreview #berlin #read #writer #berlinerbuchmesse #buchmesseberlin #author #instabooks #boekverkoping #virtualbookfair #bookaddict

No comments:

Post a Comment