Thursday, August 4, 2022

Advice: Meaning of "Chow Down" & To "Dish" On Someone

Photo Credit: https://www.observerbd.com/2015/01/19/67318.php Hello Everyone! What is going on for you my friend over on your side of the globe during this sticky Thursday morning?? The heat and humidity has been gradually ramping up this week. Aren't you just thrilled to get this regular weather report courtesy of your fav NYC construction chick?! :) Before we get into this double dish, I shall share with you my first children's book that's entitled, "Not All Girls Play With Dolls" that is available in e-book, paperback, and hardcover on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iTunes. Additionally, I'm also sharing my first adult e-book entitled, "Construction Tales: Volume I: A Woman's Journey To Become An Electrician". Thankfully, God has given me another day so that I may have the honor of sharing another double dish of custom crafted mental food for your mind. Our first topic of discussion is on the origin of the phrase, "chow down". I do recall the saying from my time on active duty in the U.S. Navy. I found it interesting that the origin of the word was first in print back during WWII and based upon a story from the Navy. I then found the language in the quote, when it was first used, to be disturbing. I don't like how the African American shipmate was referred. When I read it, it sounded like nails on a chalkboard in my mind. I went off on a little tangent and expressed my discomfort with the content. I've always been a logically thinking person who judged people based solely upon merit ever since I was a kid. I fought with family members over any mindset that was narrower than my own. Honestly, I didn't understand the logic and no one could properly explain it to me when I was a teenager. Yes, this topic is indeed a discussion all on it's own. For my second question and answer, the topic is on the meaning behind to "dish" on someone. This task is ideal for the Karen in your life. Who has time to go around dishing about other people? I've always looked at it like I can't speak on someone unless I can say it to their face. If that is the case then go ahead. If not, then keep my trap shut. My close friends do ask me, on occasion, for updates on mutual close friends and I will go ahead and share. I would want to make sure that I had the most accurate information. Oftentimes, I would not feel comfortable spreading data that I either didn't know fully about the facts or knowing that bad data will cause harm. Years ago, my neighbor told the cable guy, while connecting my cable, a brief overview of what she thought she knew about me. Meanwhile, I never speak with this woman nor do I ever want to do so. She was not the kindest to me over the 25-years that I lived in the house. Any interaction was an altercation. She was trying to control my moves on my side of the fence. She is just one of those broads who can't help themselves. Meanwhile, I don't pay attention to what people do on their property nor do I care to snoop. It was wild to hear the feedback from a technician that passed along information from a woman that is not a part of my life. Meanwhile, I have my own stories from random interactions with the crazy dog widow lady. This woman only interacted with me when it was regarding calling the cops after burning some branches in my yard or my dog barking. People, just like the crazy dog widow lady, could run their mouths off and be completely reckless with their data. On the other hand, I wrote about my co-workers in my book. To some folks, that is considered dishing on my co-workers. For the record, I totally agree with that sentiment. The beauty was that I changed all names to protect the innocent and guilty. This way no one can say that I slandered them. Anything I shared was based upon my experience. I didn't create facts to make it more interesting. The truth is much stranger than facts anyway. What do you think about the art of dishing on others? Do you participate? Do you avoid it like the plague? I tend to assess the situation and either run or join in on the gossip. I just have to be comfortable with re-stating what was said about the person to their face. Go ahead and drop your input right down the in comment section below. Then continue reading even further on my blog topics down below: POSED QUESTION #1: "What is the history behind the phrase “chow down”?" -By Carlene Webb MY RESPONSE #1: "According my army of friends on the internet, the origin of the expression “chow down” comes from service members who are stationed in the U.S. military. The phrase was first used while WWII was happening. The first time where the phrase was printed was in a newspaper from December of 1942. It was seen in print within an issue of The Hammond Times. The phrase “chow down” was infused within a story that was about sailor life on a submarine. Here is a clip of the news article that shares the origin of the phrase: “’Chow down, sir,’ a Negro mess attendant in a white coat informed. Served on navy blue and white china we put away steak, potatoes, peas, and ice cream.” When I first started to research this phrase, I had no idea where it came from or what I would find. I initially felt uncomfortable quoting the phrase of origin since it is not a proper way that I would reference a person of African American descent. I then opted to proceed with providing history since this is how we learn where we were and where we are today. Yes, I agree that more needs to be done to make sure that all people are treated fairly and based upon merit and not uncontrollable factors. It is amazing to think that people spoke freely and behaved like this 80-years ago! Yes, I’m indeed highlighting something that is not the point of the post. Let’s get back on track with the theme of the discussion. When I served in the U.S. Navy as a young kid, the catch phrase in boot camp was, “you have 15-minutes and 15-minutes only to eat your fine, fine Navy chow”. That was the signal to hurry the hell up and eat so you can meet your team out on the line and do other tasks. Therefore, the term “chow” is familiar to me due to my military service. Basically, chowing down means to stuff your face. This can be good or bad and that depends on who you ask. All over the world, food is a means to mourn, share joy, and celebrate milestones and achievements. Another favorite term I like to hear is, “put the feed bag on”. To me, that implies that you eat until you bust out at the seams. Yes, that is a whole other discussion. May you strike a balance in life with eating as you please yet not too much to where you explode yet not enough to survive. #ConstructionTales #VerballyDisastrous #NotAllGirlsPlayWithDolls" -By Leslie M. Jasper https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-history-behind-the-phrase-chow-down/answer/Leslie-Jasper-3?prompt_topic_bio=1 POSED QUESTION #2: "What does it mean to "dish" on someone?" -By Earl Kliethermes THE RESPONSE #2: "When a hear that a person is going to “dish” on someone, they are either just going to gossip or attempt to slander that person. When a person gossips about others, they are saying either what they know as facts or what they perceive about the other party. The shitty part is that these facts can be totally and completely wrong!! The person dishing can harm that person that they are speaking about behind their back. When you slander someone, you are attempting to highlight their worst attributes and even run a smear campaign with anyone who will listen. Once you share gossip with one person, they all can work in conjunction spread to others. Before you know it, it can be an absolute wildfire of misinformation on the streets. It is unfair to the person being gossiped on since they are completely unaware of what is being said as to the accuracy and cannot defend themselves in light of spread misinformation. I always think that when a person is speaking about a person, it’s a guaranteed that they will also do it to me behind my back. In some respects, it changes how I feel about the person moving forward. I may not choose to no longer trust them. In a worst case scenario, spreading false rumors could lead to a murder of those involved. Exercise caution any time you hear words spoken behind a person’s back. May you not be in the crosshairs of a person choosing to dish about you and may it only be facts. #ConstructionTales #VerballyDisastrous #NotAllGirlsPlayWithDolls" -By Leslie M. Jasper https://www.quora.com/What-does-it-mean-to-dish-on-someone/answer/Leslie-Jasper-3?prompt_topic_bio=1 I thank you for giving me the opportunity to share with you my advice content today. My hope is that these topics will give you a moment to pause and discuss the topic at hand. Feel free to share your random thoughts by dropping them in the comment section at the bottom of the blog post. If you appreciate listening to podcasts, I encourage you to review my last (8) podcast episodes that are listed down below from The Verbally Disastrous Podcast, via links for Spotify & YouTube down below. If you are into reading on a Kindle, check out my newest short story release that belongs to my Construction Tales-Told By A Woman Kindle Vella Library short story series on Amazon down below. My last short story #11 is entitled, "Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools". This short story covers my life as a widowed, single mother in the era when I juggled both motherhood and my career as a journeywoman electrician. The previous short story is #10 is entitled, "Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice". If anyone has read any of my other previous short stories, let me know your thoughts? While we are at it, go ahead and check out the many links for my book #ConstructionTales down below. It's time for me to go finish out the afternoon at work and then proceed to go home to chillax. It's your turn to complete your Thursday tasks and go home to your family. It's also my continuous goal is to reveal for you even more interesting content. I shall return to badger you shortly. Have yourself a great morning/afternoon/evening on your side of the globe and a restful or productive day! Link To Construction Tales: Volume I: A Woman's Journey To Become An Electrician (Paperback & Kindle) On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Construction-Tales-Womans-Journey-Electrician/dp/1467960160 Link To Construction Tales: A Young Person's Guide To Accomplish Anything In Life (Paperback & Kindle) On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Construction-Tales-Persons-Accomplish-Anything/dp/1497593115 U.S.A.: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/B07P5PNCS7/?source_code=AUDFPWS0223189MWT-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_us United Kingdom: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/B07P5PP7RW/?source_code=AUKFrDlWS02231890H6-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_uk France, Belgium, Switzerland: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.fr/pd/B07P7RYP4G/?source_code=FRAORWS022318903B-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_fr Germany, Austria, Switzerland: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.de/pd/B07P8W3MVY/?source_code=EKAORWS0223189009-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_de VERBALLY DISASTROUS PODCAST EPISODE LINKS: Here is the link to the Verbally Disastrous Podcast on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/2dFYgX4dUiHaMfJ4gigLY0?si=KcR-D8RyRnKGk1wuPOqa1Q&dl_branch=1 Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #43: Part A- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/6XzVL9ybKHA Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #44: Part B- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/TFDLB5talUo Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #45: Part C- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/nYRVJNya0lU Verbally Disastrous! Season #2, Episode #46:Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice On YouTube: https://youtu.be/IcQ4-uGankA Verbally Disastrous Podcast! S#2, Ep. #47: Part A- Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools on YouTube: https://youtu.be/qWhf4lGmcXo Verbally Disastrous Podcast! S#2, Ep. #48: Part B- Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools on YouTube: https://youtu.be/wO8nXSRw7sU Verbally Disastrous Podcast- S#2, Episode #49: Just Released Not All Girls Play With Dolls!! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/go1FdOI5eYY Verbally Disastrous Podcast- S#2, Episode #50: My First 7 Weeks As A Site Safety Manager on YouTube: https://youtu.be/_DKA-q72dNw I recently shared my latest short story that has been loaded up to my Construction Tales-Told By A Woman Kindle Vella Library on Amazon. This is short story #11 entitled, "Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools". This short story covers my life as a widowed, single mother in the era when I juggled both motherhood and my career as a journeywoman electrician. I share the various challenges I faced and lessons learned along the way. The previous short story is entitled: #10: "Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice". I decided to write about some life lessons such as guarding your personal information, managing nasty rumors, combating sexual harassment, gender discrimination, and racism. Overall, the construction culture has improved dramatically over the past 25-years. Developing both a thick skin and a sharp tongue are key tools needed to survive various jobsite antics. I hope you learn something from this short story. There are more to come. These short stories are now also available as Verbally Disastrous podcast episodes. Construction Tales- Told By A Woman: (11) Kindle Vella Short Stories On Amazon!! https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/product/B096N8NSGM The Verbally Disastrous Store On Tee-Spring:
https://my-store-c1f946.creator-spring.com Cheers! Leslie M. Jasper -Author And Host of the #VerballyDisastrous podcast now alive on many platforms that include: Acast, Amazon Music, Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Breaker, Castbox, Deezer, Google Podcasts, I Heart Radio, Listen Notes, Overcast, Pandora Podcasts, Player FM, Pocket Casts, Pod Bean, Podchaser, Podcast Addict, Podcast Gang, Radio Public, Reason, Soundcloud, Soundtrap, Spotify, Stitcher, Tune In, and YouTube. -The Audio Blog: Verbally Disastrous Podcast And Construction Tales Blog. Now available on: Acast, Amazon Music, Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Breaker, Castbox, Deezer, Google Podcasts, I Heart Radio, Listen Notes, Overcast, Pandora Podcasts, Player FM, Pocket Casts, Pod Bean, Podchaser, Podcast Addict, Podcast Gang, Radio Public, Reason, Soundcloud, Spotify, Stitcher, and Tune In. #womenempowerment, #CTAMarketing, #PhotacularImagery, #KindleVella, #FreeBritney, #AmazonMusic, #AnastasiaTaranenko, #Fiverr, #Tad_Art, #PandoraPodcasts, #Soundtrap, #ConstructionTales, #audio, #intro, #fun, #hot, #mess, #creations, #Connecticut, #NewYork, #family, #foolery, #podcast, #Spotify, #VerballyDisastrous, #new, #topics, #howto, #secrets, #women, #powerful, #strong, #shorts, #men, #teen, #trynottolaugh, #edgy, #realistic, #explicit, #mature, #shocking, #thoughtprovoking, #fresh, #dark, #mustwatch, #Soundcloud, #YouTube, #Johnny, #creative, #IABX, #Reddit, #community, #Leslie@VerbDisastrous, #strongwomen, #womaninconstruction, #empower, #gender, #ICanDOIT, #femalerenovator, #renovation, #project, #womanconstructionproject, #strong, #slideshow, #2013Project, #learnbywatching, #girlpower, #sheetrock, #tape, #electrical, #plumbing, #tile, #dust, #dirt, #debris, #basement, #paint, #renovate, #insulation, #hihats, #wiring, #metalstuds, #screws, #workout, #Johnny, #promo, #videos, #creative, #sons, #discusswithmom, #topics, #Tom, #openconversation, #Johnny, episodes, #LotLizard, #AmazonPrime, #video, #documentary, #Netflix, #gorillaglue, #gorilla, #glue, #spray, #gorillagluewoman, #hair, #hairsurgery, #LosAngeles, #DrObeng, #plasticsurgeon, #alcoholic, #drinks, #testing, #episodes, #release, #soon, #alcoholic #samples, #RevelStoke, #NewAmsterdam, #PinkWhitney, #WickedPickle, #BirdDog, #blackberry, #whiskey, #vodka, #99Bananas, #OleSmokey, #Tswoooh23_, #videogaming, #streaming, #OSHA502, #renewal, #trainthetrainer, #RIT, #Anchor, #Breaker, #GooglePodcasts, #PocketCasts, #RadioPublic, #article, #life, #apprentice, #ComedyCentral, #skit, #JessaReid, #ApplePodcasts, #Deezer, #Podchaser, #PodBean, #TuneIn, #Castbox, #PlayerFM, #iHeartRadio, #Stitcher, #Acast, #PodcastGang, #PodcastAddict, #ziplining, #AdventurePark, #presskit, #SayNoToRapists, #JusticeForUwa, #NotAllGirlsPlayWithDolls #Scholastic #nonfiction #bookstagram #DropEverythingAndRead #SpringBookFair2021 #LoveOfReading #Reading #ConstructionTales #books #funny #NYC #podcast #Spotify #VerballyDisastrous #bookfair #bookjoy #ReadAnywhere #LoveToRead #AllForBooks #Adult #FBF22 #LBF22 #BEA22 #IKBF22 #KLF22 #HKTDC22 #GBF22 #IIBF22 #LATFOB22 #SIBF22 #FILBO22 #EIBF22 #BAIBF22 #MIBF22 #BIDLDSP22 #BS22 #BBF22 #HIBF22 #IBTAF22 #IBBF22 #ITEF22 #JLF22 #JIBF22 #LBF22 #NDWBF22 #TiBE22 #TIBF22 #BCBF22 #LIVREPARIS22 #SDLDM22 #HBF22 #FIL22 #IIBF22 #SBF22 #BuchWein22 #VIBF22 #ADIBF22 #AIPF22 #bookstagram #book #bukuislami #bukumurah #islamicbookfair #buku #booklover #bukusejarah #buchberlin #booklove #cher #bookshelf #internationalbookfair #bookholic #jualbuku #jualbukumurah #reading #obralbuku #bukuindie #bukujogja #tokobukumurah #buchmesse #langka #pasarbuku #bukulangka #bhfyp #jualbelibukuonline #onlineshop #jualanonline #booklovers #anresbooks #readingbooks #booksofinstagram #boekuitstalling #buch #bookish #buchberlinkids #tokobukuonline #boimela #lesen #bookworm #poetry #gontor #fbm #bazarbuku #bookreview #berlin #read #writer #berlinerbuchmesse #buchmesseberlin #author #instabooks #boekverkoping #virtualbookfair #bookaddict

No comments:

Post a Comment