Thursday, February 13, 2014

Audio Track Complete-Editing Process Concerns About Using the N-Word in the Book

Hello everyone!

I just finished working in a recording studio at Raw Recording Studio in Patterson, New York.  I enjoyed working with the engineer JC during the process.  I am now waiting for JC to find the time and edit the book so it can get loaded into Audiobooks.com in the near future.  I am excited to see the reviews on that latest work of art! :)  It should become available on Amazon and iTunes when it is finished and uploaded.  I will provide an update when that happens as well!

I was concerned about 2 spots in the book where the N-word is used.  I am not using the word myself.  It was a part of a story to illustrate a funny black co-worker who dropped the word.  The second time it was used was when I was in an almost fist fight with a guy who did not like me dating an Arab man at the time.  He referred to him when we were arguing as a "Sand N-Word".  I am going to provide an exerpt of the context as to how it was used.  I am torn since I believe in freedom of expression.  However, I do not want to offend anyone.  Nor would I want anyone to have a false impression of what I represent.  I have decided for the time being to have it bleeped out of the audio track.  I had to go over the sentence a few times since I was extremely uncomfortable using the word.  I am fully aware of the history and negative associations made with the word.  I have always been a firm believer that NO ONE should use the word. I can only control my actions and guide the actions of my boys. 

Therefore, I will edit it for the audio version.  Anyone who hears it will clearly see that I am merely recounting a story that happened during the time frame years ago.

Chapter 16 Adventures With Big Papa Bear

"The name of the road is Nanny Hagen Road.  Roven was driving and all of a sudden he half way slammed on the brakes while wildly moving his head from side to side in a panic.  It was as if we were in another one of his skits in his head where he was the slave and I was his sidekick this time.  He started saying over and over, "Look at those trees!!"  "Those trees were for hanging niggers!!"  I never again traveled down that road without the dialogue from Roven playing softly in the back of my mind."

Here is the second exerpt where I am fighting with these two guys who do not like me due to my choices to date an Arab man during that time.  He also does not like that I am defending people from Pakistan who are running a deli.  I believed that those people had nothing to do with 9/11 nor should you assume they have anything to do with this tragic moment in history!!

Chapter 18 Working For a Bully

"Stanley and I reported to another school job within the district to work for a foreman named Haans.  We both could tell that we were not well received.  I was especially not well received due to my gender.  I found out that the foreman did not like women working in the business.  The first day I found this to be true when I was sent out for coffee.  Despite the fact that there was a third year helper on the job, I was the one sent out to get coffee.  I opted to not make a fuss since it was very clear to me that this is what he was looking for me to do.  In this business, the person who has been in the business the least number of years goes out for coffee.  I happened to know Haan's brother, since he was dating a friend of mine.  That friend lived on the same street as my ex-boyfriend.  Haans knew about my ex-boyfriend, whose parents had come from the Middle East.  I knew that found out about this information since he made several references to avoid dating "sand niggers" from the Middle East who fund terrorists from the Taliban.  In addition to his inappropriate references, another co-worker on the job, named Terry, would also make similar comments from time to time."

I had a tough time on that job. It was very necessary to let the reader know how these guys behaved towards me.  I defended my self and my position the whole way!  I would love to hear thoughts or comments on this!

Cheers!
Leslie M. Jasper

No comments:

Post a Comment