Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Meet Isis Harris: "3v3ryday Grind" High Vis Construction Wear CEO!

Photo Credit: (Isis Harris) https://www.shopeverydaygrind.com/shop Hello Everyone! Hopefully, your Wednesday started out smooth and continues to do so throughout the day. What is goin' on near your side of the globe today? I'm excited to share with you a fellow journeywoman electrician's entrepreneurial clothing line launch. Prior to that, I want to announce that my first children's book entitled, "Not All Girls Play With Dolls" is now officially as a Nook for Barnes & Noble!! I'm giving a fair warning that the illustrations, by Anastasia Taranenko, are not in the Nook e-book. However, the illustrations are available as Kindle and iTunes e-books. I have to figure out how to make the e-pub file smaller in order to load it into Nook. Yes, I need to work on the hardcover version of the book. I'm frustrated that Fiverr has removed my illustrator from the platform because she is from Russia. I need to find an illustrator to create blank backgrounds for each illustration in order to create the hardcover version. Now, let's get to the actual purpose of this blog post. I want to introduce to you a fellow union journeywoman electrician who hails out of Portland, Oregon. Another thing that we have in common is the beautiful, rustic state of Oregon. For those who are not aware, I was born and raised out in Coos Bay/North Bend, Oregon. Despite being here in New York since I was 19-years old, I consider Oregon my home away from home. For the record, I absolutely love to see kick ass trade women working on their creative projects!! It makes it even sweeter when you see that they faced challenges and came from humble beginnings. I REALLY like the logo so I picked up a t-shirt and a hoodie. I plan to pick up more at a later date to wear on my projects.
Photo Credit: Leslie M. Jasper Wearing 3v3ryday Grind Apparel I shared this photo with Isis on Facebook to show my support for her budding clothing line. Here in New York City, the workers need to wear high vis t-shirts or reflective vests while on projects. Now, here is Isis' impressive bio so that we can all get to know her better! Isis Harris, IBEW Local 48- Portland, Oregon Isis was born and raised in Portland Oregon. She became a IBEW member in 2014 with IBEW Local 48 and entered the NECA-IBEW LEA Program in 2015, later transferring to the Inside Wireman Apprenticeship program in 2016. After completing Pre-Apprenticeship training with the Constructing Hope Pre-Apprenticeship Program, she decided on a career in a skilled trade seeking to become a Journeyman Electrician. She recently graduated the Local 48 NECA-IBEW Inside Wireman Apprenticeship Program, December 2021, becoming a licensed Commercial and Industrial Electrician. Isis is also a Board Member with Oregon Tradeswomen, Quality Jobs Council Member, N/NE Action Plan Leadership Committee Member, Certified Forklift Instructor, Peer Recovery Mentor, Rock the Trades Ambassador and Business Owner of 3v3ryday Grind LLC, a high visibility clothing company. Community, Leadership and Labor Activism: Isis was recently featured on Fox 12’s Good Day Oregon (February 2022) to speak about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the construction industry and the commitment she made to the movement. She is featured in the documentary: My Whole Self (2017) and Anti-Bias Training Video Produced by Diamond Law Firm, as well as Challenges and Blessings (2017), a recruitment tool developed by WorkSource Oregon and directed by Diversa Edu designed to educate job seekers about the employment opportunities in the skilled trades. She was also featured in a commercial for the Tradeswomen Career Fair in 2019, that showed her on the job working during the 3rd trimester of her pregnancy. The purpose of the commercial was to encourage women to understand the duality of working in the skilled trades but also building and nurturing their family’s futures. She completed a 3 year term as Vice President of the Gus Miller Chapter of the Electrical Workers Minority Caucus with the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 48. Isis also previously taught part-time with Portland Community College as a Forklift Instructor with the Maritime Welding Program, and was an Advisory Committee member with MercyCorps NW in 2018 as well as former Co-chair of the disbanded Oregon Tradeswomen DEI committee. She is a member in good standing and involved with her union and community. She seeks to educate herself on a range of social and economic justice topics as a union member and lifetime resident of Portland, Or. Isis was nominated by the NECA-IBEW Electrical Training Center for the “2017 Woman on the Rise Award” awarded by Oregon Tradeswomen Inc., and is featured on a hallway promotional poster at the Portland NIETC (NECA-IBEW Electrical Training Center) highlighting her path into apprenticeship. Isis served on the Historical Black Markers Advisory Committee; the committee was integral in Historical Markers being placed throughout Northeast Portland in recognition of the rich history of number of the black residents that resided in NE Portland, and made history in the neighborhood prior to gentrification. She has facilitated construction-based workshops with the Tradeswomen Leadership Institute, Helensview Highschool, I-Trades Career Fair, POIC Pre-Apprenticeship Program and within the Oak Creeks Girls Facility with both PCC and the GirlsBuild program. She has visited Coffee Creek Correctional Facility several times with reps from, Oregon Tradeswomen, the NIETC, and the African American Program with the Portland Probation and Parole Dept. She has spoken on panels at the National Electrical Workers Minority Caucus Leadership Conference (Aneheim, CA), the University of Oregon Labor and Education Resource Center’s 40th Anniversary Symposium, Constructing Hope Pre-Apprenticeship Program (2022), for the movie viewing of “Sista in the Brotherhood” filmed by Hearts and Sparks Productions, The City of Portland ‘Women In Construction Conference: A Conference to Educate and Empower’, The Women in Prison Conference (2018), The ‘Women Build Nations’ Conference (Chicago,IL) and The NAMC “Safe from Hate” February 2021 meeting. She is also a member of the Coalition of Black Trades Unionist She formerly participated as an Advisory Committee Member of the Women's Justice Project, and a cohort graduate of the New Leaders Council, an organization new to Portland whose mission is to train new progressive and diverse leaders. She has been featured in Danner Boot ads, Dovetail Women’s Workwear catalog, Architectural Digest, DJC Oregon, Oregon Business Magazine, and interviewed by NPR twice. Isis was also featured in the March 2021 “Women at Work” Blog published by Dovetail Workwear, participated in a panel of Trade Guest Speakers with Oregon Tradeswomen alongside NIETC staff, and gave the closing remarks at the Tradeswomen Leadership Institute March of 2021. Isis also spoke on a panel discussion for The Ism-Project, “That Diversity thing” a film adapted monologue based on dissertation research with black Tradeswomen, conducted by Dr. Roberta Hunte, that premiered March 2021. Isis, is passionate about shaping public policy, advocating for diversity, equity and inclusion within the construction trades, highlighting issues addressing incarceration and rehabilitation for the common good of all Oregonians, and entrepreneurship as a way to improve working families’ quality of life working via union participation, community-based organizations involvement, correctional institution outreach, and grassroot agency coalition building. Links To Several Online Articles And References For Isis Harris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HSXpa05i1s&t=20s https://youtu.be/UTNCVEkyLcA https://www.oregonbusiness.com/article/oregonatwork/item/17755-video-series-isis-harris-electrician-apprentice https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwie2Zafn47aAhUM4GMKHYEiBzMQFghYMA0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdjcoregon.com%2Fnews%2F2017%2F11%2F16%2Fwords-of-wisdom-from-women-on-the-rise%2F&usg=AOvVaw0gR3ckdwKa-lgn1imdiwlz https://albertamainst.org/black-heritage-markers/ https://www.heartsandsparks.com/work?wix-vod-video-id=2a3d34962d774ca69d4d2fdee17f1d26&wix-vod-comp-id=comp-kakndlyp https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwit8Pn6oI7aAhUH9WMKHcVtBws4ChAWCCgwAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fojrc.info%2Fwomens-justice-project%2F&usg=AOvVaw3allk24LNgh8X9Ev183aqj https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=30&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiz9ZTPoY7aAhVY92MKHRaLBBo4FBAWCFYwCQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tradeswomen.net%2F2017%2F12%2Fwomen-on-the-rise-awards%2F&usg=AOvVaw0xUsJP4mktpRZtQFNNWySK https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiP9bKBoo7aAhVW2GMKHUGMC4EQFgg_MAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fadminlb.imodules.com%2Fs%2F1540%2Fimages%2Fgid3%2Feditor_documents%2Flaw%2Fbios_women_in_construction.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0ygPAQXp7in7UozXXNVU8t https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/calendar/530091 https://youtu.be/3-Q3HIbTXws https://www.mercycorpsnw.org/ 3V3RYDAY GRIND is working to change the construction industry, one hoodie at a time | Local News | kptv.com
Photo Credit: The Oregonian Newspaper After reading Isis' bio, I'm rooting for the success of her business venture even more!! I see that she is a relatively new journeywoman and works to empower other women and minorities to also pick up the tools and learn a trade. It's amazing that she is tapped into her community in such a wonderful capacity! The youth that she has connected with should be honored to have her dedication, mentorship, and her energy. I absolutely see the value in that gift!!! I became an apprentice of Local #3 IBEW NYC back in 1995 and I would have loved to have seen some form of a mentor program. During the first year of my apprenticeship, no one in my class would speak to me. I also dealt with some journeymen on the job threatening to reach out to the apprentice director and get me thrown out of the program. I even had a journeyman order me to cut 6" pieces of 1-5/8" strut on multiple 10' lengths. I sure did it with a forced smile and refused to have the dude break my spirit. It's reasonable to assume that Isis has some similar stories to share as well. Thankfully, not all trade people behave poorly. Over the years, the sentiment on inclusion has evolved on the jobsites. I'm thankful for the evolved way of thinking. As a woman in management, I won't tolerate any kind of nonsense on my jobsite. I firmly believe that all workers need to be treated fairly. My first connection in apprentice school was made with a group of African American apprentices. I will never forget the feeling of isolation, that I didn't belong, and the tight bond that I developed with my pals. Isis sure inspires me to beef up my community service!! I totally feel like I'm slacking big time!! Wow she is amazing!! Then again, I believe my writing serves as a way to encourage and mentor the youth in need. We all contribute to society differently. What I would like to do is invite Isis for a #VerballyDisastrous podcast interview, via Zoom, once I get my new computer set up. I'm sure it would be a rather interesting conversation. I believe that female tradeswomen see the world in a rather unique way. It would be fascinating to see how different her viewpoint is from mine. I'd love to hear her biggest challenges and wins faced as an apprentice and a journeywoman. I will reach out to her and ask her if she wants to share them and I will edit and add it to this blog post, if offered. I'm honored to share Isis' hard work with fighting for inclusion and equality within her local community. Her efforts are truly admirable and are indeed needed! She is a wonderful role model and I'm sure she makes her children proud! :) Go check out the website shopeverydaygrind.com/shop and check out her clothing line. If you can, tell her I sent you. :) If you are a fellow trade person reading this blog post, drop your trade and local number down the in comment section down below. If you are not in the trade and just want to share where in the world you are from, that is cool as well. I'd love to hear from you as you represent your part of the world. Thanks for stopping by this blog post to read about the continuous success that's happening for my trade sister Isis! I totally appreciate your momentary attention on my blog post today. What do you think about Isis journey? Let me know, in the comment section below, if she inspires you to pick a trade? If you have any questions, drop them down in the comment section below. I will work to respond to them. I can even expand on the question and make it a blog post. The goal is to empower other women and minorities to follow our footsteps. It's not just a click bait comment. I'm genuinely into guiding and empowering others. I'd like others to have an easier time than I did when I first picked up the tools. It's quite obvious that Isis feels the same way. Since you read up to this point already, I'm sharing my latest (8) podcast episodes that are listed down below from The Verbally Disastrous Podcast, via links for Spotify & YouTube down below. If you are into reading on a Kindle, check out my newest short story release that belongs to my Construction Tales-Told By A Woman Kindle Vella Library short story series on Amazon down below. This new short story #11 is entitled, "Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools". This short story covers my life as a widowed, single mother in the era when I juggled both motherhood and my career as a journeywoman electrician. The previous short story is #10 is entitled, "Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice". If anyone has read any of my other previous short stories, by all means, let me know what you think? Check out the links for my book #ConstructionTales down below. I'm sharing with you some blog posts while juggling my work duties as a site safety manager. It's time to get back to what you were doing on your Wednesday before you were rudely interrupted with this blog post. Have yourself a great morning/afternoon/evening on your side of the globe and a restful or productive day!
Photo Credit: Call To Action Marketing Logo- John Collazo, CEO Link To Construction Tales: Volume I: A Woman's Journey To Become An Electrician (Paperback & Kindle) On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Construction-Tales-Womans-Journey-Electrician/dp/1467960160 Link To Construction Tales: A Young Person's Guide To Accomplish Anything In Life (Paperback & Kindle) On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Construction-Tales-Persons-Accomplish-Anything/dp/1497593115 U.S.A.: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/B07P5PNCS7/?source_code=AUDFPWS0223189MWT-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_us United Kingdom: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/B07P5PP7RW/?source_code=AUKFrDlWS02231890H6-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_uk France, Belgium, Switzerland: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.fr/pd/B07P7RYP4G/?source_code=FRAORWS022318903B-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_fr Germany, Austria, Switzerland: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.de/pd/B07P8W3MVY/?source_code=EKAORWS0223189009-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_de VERBALLY DISASTROUS PODCAST EPISODE LINKS: Here is the link to the Verbally Disastrous Podcast on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/2dFYgX4dUiHaMfJ4gigLY0?si=KcR-D8RyRnKGk1wuPOqa1Q&dl_branch=1 Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #43: Part A- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/6XzVL9ybKHA Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #44: Part B- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/TFDLB5talUo Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #45: Part C- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/nYRVJNya0lU Verbally Disastrous! Season #2, Episode #46:Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice On YouTube: https://youtu.be/IcQ4-uGankA Verbally Disastrous Podcast! S#2, Ep. #47: Part A- Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools on YouTube: https://youtu.be/qWhf4lGmcXo Verbally Disastrous Podcast! S#2, Ep. #48: Part B- Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools on YouTube: https://youtu.be/wO8nXSRw7sU Verbally Disastrous Podcast- S#2, Episode #49: Just Released Not All Girls Play With Dolls!! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/go1FdOI5eYY Verbally Disastrous Podcast- S#2, Episode #50: My First 7 Weeks As A Site Safety Manager on YouTube: https://youtu.be/_DKA-q72dNw I recently shared my latest short story that has been loaded up to my Construction Tales-Told By A Woman Kindle Vella Library on Amazon. This is short story #11 entitled, "Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools". This short story covers my life as a widowed, single mother in the era when I juggled both motherhood and my career as a journeywoman electrician. I share the various challenges I faced and lessons learned along the way. The previous short story is entitled: #10: "Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice". I decided to write about some life lessons such as guarding your personal information, managing nasty rumors, combating sexual harassment, gender discrimination, and racism. Overall, the construction culture has improved dramatically over the past 25-years. Developing both a thick skin and a sharp tongue are key tools needed to survive various jobsite antics. I hope you learn something from this short story. There are more to come. These short stories are now also available as Verbally Disastrous podcast episodes. Construction Tales- Told By A Woman: (11) Kindle Vella Short Stories On Amazon!! https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/product/B096N8NSGM The Verbally Disastrous Store On Tee-Spring:
https://my-store-c1f946.creator-spring.com Cheers! Leslie M. Jasper -Author And Host of the #VerballyDisastrous podcast now alive on many platforms that include: Acast, Amazon Music, Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Breaker, Castbox, Deezer, Google Podcasts, I Heart Radio, Listen Notes, Overcast, Pandora Podcasts, Player FM, Pocket Casts, Pod Bean, Podchaser, Podcast Addict, Podcast Gang, Radio Public, Reason, Soundcloud, Soundtrap, Spotify, Stitcher, Tune In, and YouTube. -The Audio Blog: Verbally Disastrous Podcast And Construction Tales Blog. Now available on: Acast, Amazon Music, Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Breaker, Castbox, Deezer, Google Podcasts, I Heart Radio, Listen Notes, Overcast, Pandora Podcasts, Player FM, Pocket Casts, Pod Bean, Podchaser, Podcast Addict, Podcast Gang, Radio Public, Reason, Soundcloud, Spotify, Stitcher, and Tune In. #CTAMarketing, #PhotacularImagery, #KindleVella, #FreeBritney, #AmazonMusic, #AnastasiaTaranenko, #Fiverr, #Tad_Art, #PandoraPodcasts, #Soundtrap, #ConstructionTales, #audio, #intro, #fun, #hot, #mess, #creations, #Connecticut, #NewYork, #family, #foolery, #podcast, #Spotify, #VerballyDisastrous, #new, #topics, #howto, #secrets, #women, #powerful, #strong, #shorts, #men, #teen, #trynottolaugh, #edgy, #realistic, #explicit, #mature, #shocking, #thoughtprovoking, #fresh, #dark, #mustwatch, #Soundcloud, #YouTube, #Johnny, #creative, #IABX, #Reddit, #community, #Leslie@VerbDisastrous, #strongwomen, #womaninconstruction, #empower, #gender, #ICanDOIT, #femalerenovator, #renovation, #project, #womanconstructionproject, #strong, #slideshow, #2013Project, #learnbywatching, #girlpower, #sheetrock, #tape, #electrical, #plumbing, #tile, #dust, #dirt, #debris, #basement, #paint, #renovate, #insulation, #hihats, #wiring, #metalstuds, #screws, #workout, #Johnny, #promo, #videos, #creative, #sons, #discusswithmom, #topics, #Tom, #openconversation, #Johnny, episodes, #LotLizard, #AmazonPrime, #video, #documentary, #Netflix, #gorillaglue, #gorilla, #glue, #spray, #gorillagluewoman, #hair, #hairsurgery, #LosAngeles, #DrObeng, #plasticsurgeon, #alcoholic, #drinks, #testing, #episodes, #release, #soon, #alcoholic #samples, #RevelStoke, #NewAmsterdam, #PinkWhitney, #WickedPickle, #BirdDog, #blackberry, #whiskey, #vodka, #99Bananas, #OleSmokey, #Tswoooh23_, #videogaming, #streaming, #OSHA502, #renewal, #trainthetrainer, #RIT, #Anchor, #Breaker, #GooglePodcasts, #PocketCasts, #RadioPublic, #article, #life, #apprentice, #ComedyCentral, #skit, #JessaReid, #ApplePodcasts, #Deezer, #Podchaser, #PodBean, #TuneIn, #Castbox, #PlayerFM, #iHeartRadio, #Stitcher, #Acast, #PodcastGang, #PodcastAddict, #ziplining, #AdventurePark, #presskit, #SayNoToRapists, #JusticeForUwa, #NotAllGirlsPlayWithDolls #Scholastic #nonfiction #bookstagram #DropEverythingAndRead #SpringBookFair2021 #LoveOfReading #Reading #ConstructionTales #books #funny #NYC #podcast #Spotify #VerballyDisastrous #bookfair #bookjoy #ReadAnywhere #LoveToRead #AllForBooks #Adult #FBF22 #LBF22 #BEA22 #IKBF22 #KLF22 #HKTDC22 #GBF22 #IIBF22 #LATFOB22 #SIBF22 #FILBO22 #EIBF22 #BAIBF22 #MIBF22 #BIDLDSP22 #BS22 #BBF22 #HIBF22 #IBTAF22 #IBBF22 #ITEF22 #JLF22 #JIBF22 #LBF22 #NDWBF22 #TiBE22 #TIBF22 #BCBF22 #LIVREPARIS22 #SDLDM22 #HBF22 #FIL22 #IIBF22 #SBF22 #BuchWein22 #VIBF22 #ADIBF22 #AIPF22 #bookstagram #book #bukuislami #bukumurah #islamicbookfair #buku #booklover #bukusejarah #buchberlin #booklove #cher #bookshelf #internationalbookfair #bookholic #jualbuku #jualbukumurah #reading #obralbuku #bukuindie #bukujogja #tokobukumurah #buchmesse #langka #pasarbuku #bukulangka #bhfyp #jualbelibukuonline #onlineshop #jualanonline #booklovers #anresbooks #readingbooks #booksofinstagram #boekuitstalling #buch #bookish #buchberlinkids #tokobukuonline #boimela #lesen #bookworm #poetry #gontor #fbm #bazarbuku #bookreview #berlin #read #writer #berlinerbuchmesse #buchmesseberlin #author #instabooks #boekverkoping #virtualbookfair #bookaddict

No comments:

Post a Comment