Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Safety Topic Of Today: Fall Protection

Photo Credit: https://memegenerator.net/Help-IVe-Fallen-And-I-CanT-Get-Up TODAY'S SAFETY FACT: Falls are the leading cause of death in construction here in the United States. In 2020, there were 351 deaths, out of 1,008 fatalities, that came as a result of falling while at work. {Source: OSHA.gov} It takes 1/3 of a second to recognize that you are falling. You could have fallen as far 30 feet by the time you finished the remaining fractions of a second. By the time your brain has registered what is happening, your death could have occurred immediately! https://youtu.be/_iZWFEFwgBw Video Credit: "I've fallen and I can't get up" commercial- From: schlummieleinchen1 on YouTube Hello Everyone! How was this past Labor Day Weekend for you? Compared to the previous two weekends, this one was more low key for me. It is a very rainy day here in New York City. This weather sure makes my joints hurt. I sure can forecast the weather according to my aches and pains. For today's blog post, I intend to discuss the safety topic on fall protection. Before I proceed even further with the fall protection topic, I might as well share with you my latest Amazon promotions for my e-books. My first children's e-book entitled, "Not All Girls Play With Dolls" will be available from August 31st to September 7th on Amazon within the United Kingdom market. I was able to add my edited teen version entitled, "Construction Tales: A Young Person's Guide To Accomplish Anything In Life" to the Kindle Countdown Deal from August 31st to September 7th is also in the United Kingdom market. My first adult e-book entitled, "Construction Tales: Volume I: A Woman's Journey To Become An Electrician" is now also scheduled to be in the Kindle Countdown Deal, within the United States market, from September 8th-15th. As a reminder, the promotions only applies to the e-book versions. I'm also truly thrilled to be sharing my new release of the "I'm My Own Sugar Daddy" online e-store through Spring. I'm working on making it also available on Shopify, Printful, and other e-commerce platforms. I have two designs to choose from: 1) Feisty Lady Trio 2) Sugar Momma Bed. I'm not trying to travel on a negative road with this product line. It's intended to empower the person wearing the shirt and not tear anyone else down. I'm not attacking a gender with this product line either. Some people will feel empowered while others laugh. I totally expect a mix of both! As always, I'm open to hearing other design concepts. Drop them down in the comment section below if you wish to offer a design suggestion. Here are my two design concepts for the product line and the Spring store links for each design: "I'm My Own Sugar Daddy" Sugar Momma Bed- Coming Soon To Shopify & Printful:
Shop "I'm My Own Sugar Daddy" Sugar Momma Bed- on Spring: https://im-my-own-ugar-daddy.creator-spring.com/listing/i-m-my-own-ugar-daddy-ugar "I'm My Own Sugar Daddy" Fiesty Lady Trio- Coming Soon To Shopify & Printful:
Shop "I'm My Own Sugar Daddy" Feisty Lady Trio- on Spring: https://im-my-own-ugar-daddy.creator-spring.com/listing/i-m-my-own-ugar-daddy As I have stated in my previous blog posts, my business partner and I are in the process of launching my new website Safety First Training Academy that can be found at http://www.safetyfirstllc.net/. As of now, the website is still under construction. I'm going to add some construction safety related topics to this blog as well for the purpose of adding them to Safety First Training Academy. I'm looking forward to the future success with my various business ventures!! As a construction worker, have you ever asked the question, "why do we have to keep discussing these toolbox talk topics"? Regardless of how many years you have in the business, refreshing the mind on these safety topics can work to help mitigate a jobsite accident. When you always have a variety of safety topics on your mind, you will react better when dealing with an emergency on the jobsite. This is exactly why toolbox talks are mandated for crews each week. If you have ever wondered why you are forced to discuss different safety topics, you now have a better understanding as to why this is a required weekly task. Here in New York City, crews are required to discuss what tasks need to be accomplished each day before work even starts. This is known as a "pre-task" meeting and/or a "job hazard analysis" (known in the field as a JHA). Workers need to know what tools they will be using and the hazards associated with each task. After discussing the hazards and matching remedies, the worker then signs the pre-task sheet and then goes to work. Each worker is acknowledging that they are properly prepared for work for the day. The objective with this pre-task exercise is to help the worker identify the potential hazards and share the ways to avoid an accident. When it's time to go to work, the crew member has this discussion on the front of the brain. One of the biggest issues that I'm dealing with on my project is workers not being consistent with using a proper anchorage point for a worker's fall protection system. I'm working in conjunction with two other site safety managers on this project. We are working together on a large 20-story residential high-rise complex here in Queens in New York City. We all witness the same issues in regards to fall protection. You may ask what is fall protection? Generally, fall protection can be provided through the use of guardrail systems, safety net systems, or personal fall arrest systems. For the purpose of this particular blog post, I’m going to speak on the personal fall arrest system. A personal fall arrest system means a system that’s used to arrest an employee in a fall from a working level. It consists of an anchorage, connectors, a body belt or body harness and may include a lanyard, deceleration device, lifeline, or suitable combinations of these. In my region, body belts are not allowed. Some of our workers wrap their lanyard, also known in the field as a “yo-yo”, around the aluminum railing that serves as a fall protection for the concrete breezeway. There are two different types of lanyards. The first lanyard is called a positioning lanyard. A positioning lanyard controls where you're physically able to move to in order to keep you from entering a fall hazard zone. The second one is called a shock absorbing lanyard. A shock absorbing lanyard contains an energy-absorbing unit to limit fall arrest forces in the case of a fall. The anchorage needs to be pull tested and capable of holding at least 5,000 pounds. Relying on an aluminum railing, that was installed back in the 1950’s, is not a good idea to rely on in order to avoid a falling death. Another issue, in relation to fall protection, we see is the lack of consistency with connecting the lanyard to the anchor. In an effort to minimize the gap with being continuously connected, three vertical lifelines have been dropped from the top floor. The lifelines are connected to the building concrete support intended for the scaffold support on the top floor. Of course, the anchors were pull tested and recorded for our records onsite. Despite having the lifelines, I have caught workers not continuously connected from the yo-yo to the lifeline. In the event of working at a spot where the lifeline doesn’t reach, it’s wise to engineer a horizontal lifeline. The average worker onsite is between the age range of 20’s to 30’s. Sadly, the younger workers take more risk as opposed the older workers. This makes them wide open to accidents. I’m even guilty of taking risks when I was younger. I thank God that I didn’t have to pay the price for my cowboy moves from the past when I was much younger and less experienced. The cold, hard reality is that it takes only a fraction of a second to fall. By the time you even realize that you are falling, you will be already on the ground. Deaths by falling off a ladder could happen even while only being on the first step of the ladder. All a person has to do is hit their head in a particular spot and life is over for the victim. The odds of surviving a fall of several floors is rather slim. In order to avoid falling to your death, just work to make sure that your lanyard is always connected to the anchorage point. If you fail to be consistent with being connected to the anchorage point, you are just playing Russian roulette with your life! Please be safe my friend! I appreciate your efforts for continuously peeping my blog post(s) today and/or any other day. Don't forget to follow me at leslie_m_jasper on Tik Tok or Verbally Disastrous on YouTube. Share your feedback on my content down in the comment section at the bottom of the blog post. If you appreciate listening to podcasts, I encourage you to review my last (8) podcast episodes that are listed down below from The Verbally Disastrous Podcast, via links for Spotify & YouTube down below. If you are into reading on a Kindle, check out my newest short story release that belongs to my Construction Tales-Told By A Woman Kindle Vella Library short story series on Amazon down below. My last short story #11 is entitled, "Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools". This short story covers my life as a widowed, single mother in the era when I juggled both motherhood and my career as a journeywoman electrician. The previous short story is #10 is entitled, "Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice". If anyone has read any of my other previous short stories, let me know your thoughts? Feel free to go ahead and check out the many links for my book #ConstructionTales down below. Now it's time to finish strong on your Tuesday work/school/home tour and then proceed to enjoy that down time when you are ready to chill out. Have yourself a great morning/afternoon/evening on your side of the globe and a restful or productive day!
Photo Credit: Safety First Training Academy Logo Link To Construction Tales: Volume I: A Woman's Journey To Become An Electrician (Paperback & Kindle) On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Construction-Tales-Womans-Journey-Electrician/dp/1467960160 Link To Construction Tales: A Young Person's Guide To Accomplish Anything In Life (Paperback & Kindle) On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Construction-Tales-Persons-Accomplish-Anything/dp/1497593115 U.S.A.: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.com/pd/B07P5PNCS7/?source_code=AUDFPWS0223189MWT-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_us United Kingdom: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/B07P5PP7RW/?source_code=AUKFrDlWS02231890H6-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_uk France, Belgium, Switzerland: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.fr/pd/B07P7RYP4G/?source_code=FRAORWS022318903B-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_fr Germany, Austria, Switzerland: Use This Link For The Audio Version Of My Book #ConstructionTales On Audible: https://www.audible.de/pd/B07P8W3MVY/?source_code=EKAORWS0223189009-BK-ACX0-144253&ref=acx_bty_BK_ACX0_144253_rh_de VERBALLY DISASTROUS PODCAST EPISODE LINKS: Here is the link to the Verbally Disastrous Podcast on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/2dFYgX4dUiHaMfJ4gigLY0?si=KcR-D8RyRnKGk1wuPOqa1Q&dl_branch=1 Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #43: Part A- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/6XzVL9ybKHA Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #44: Part B- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/TFDLB5talUo Verbally Disastrous! Season #1, Episode #45: Part C- Tramping In Cali! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/nYRVJNya0lU Verbally Disastrous! Season #2, Episode #46:Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice On YouTube: https://youtu.be/IcQ4-uGankA Verbally Disastrous Podcast! S#2, Ep. #47: Part A- Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools on YouTube: https://youtu.be/qWhf4lGmcXo Verbally Disastrous Podcast! S#2, Ep. #48: Part B- Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools on YouTube: https://youtu.be/wO8nXSRw7sU Verbally Disastrous Podcast- S#2, Episode #49: Just Released Not All Girls Play With Dolls!! on YouTube: https://youtu.be/go1FdOI5eYY Verbally Disastrous Podcast- S#2, Episode #50: My First 7 Weeks As A Site Safety Manager on YouTube: https://youtu.be/_DKA-q72dNw I recently shared my latest short story that has been loaded up to my Construction Tales-Told By A Woman Kindle Vella Library on Amazon. This is short story #11 entitled, "Juggling Motherhood & Working With The Tools". This short story covers my life as a widowed, single mother in the era when I juggled both motherhood and my career as a journeywoman electrician. I share the various challenges I faced and lessons learned along the way. The previous short story is entitled: #10: "Early Life Lessons & Characters To Meet As An Apprentice". I decided to write about some life lessons such as guarding your personal information, managing nasty rumors, combating sexual harassment, gender discrimination, and racism. Overall, the construction culture has improved dramatically over the past 25-years. Developing both a thick skin and a sharp tongue are key tools needed to survive various jobsite antics. I hope you learn something from this short story. There are more to come. These short stories are now also available as Verbally Disastrous podcast episodes. Construction Tales- Told By A Woman: (11) Kindle Vella Short Stories On Amazon!! https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/product/B096N8NSGM The Verbally Disastrous Store On Tee-Spring:
https://my-store-c1f946.creator-spring.com Cheers! Leslie M. Jasper -Author And Host of the #VerballyDisastrous podcast now alive on many platforms that include: Acast, Amazon Music, Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Breaker, Castbox, Deezer, Google Podcasts, I Heart Radio, Listen Notes, Overcast, Pandora Podcasts, Player FM, Pocket Casts, Pod Bean, Podchaser, Podcast Addict, Podcast Gang, Radio Public, Reason, Soundcloud, Soundtrap, Spotify, Stitcher, Tune In, and YouTube. -The Audio Blog: Verbally Disastrous Podcast And Construction Tales Blog. Now available on: Acast, Amazon Music, Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Breaker, Castbox, Deezer, Google Podcasts, I Heart Radio, Listen Notes, Overcast, Pandora Podcasts, Player FM, Pocket Casts, Pod Bean, Podchaser, Podcast Addict, Podcast Gang, Radio Public, Reason, Soundcloud, Spotify, Stitcher, and Tune In. #ImMyOwnSugarDaddy, #womenempowerment, #CTAMarketing, #PhotacularImagery, #KindleVella, #FreeBritney, #AmazonMusic, #AnastasiaTaranenko, #Fiverr, #Tad_Art, #PandoraPodcasts, #Soundtrap, #ConstructionTales, #audio, #intro, #fun, #hot, #mess, #creations, #Connecticut, #NewYork, #family, #foolery, #podcast, #Spotify, #VerballyDisastrous, #new, #topics, #howto, #secrets, #women, #powerful, #strong, #shorts, #men, #teen, #trynottolaugh, #edgy, #realistic, #explicit, #mature, #shocking, #thoughtprovoking, #fresh, #dark, #mustwatch, #Soundcloud, #YouTube, #Johnny, #creative, #IABX, #Reddit, #community, #Leslie@VerbDisastrous, #strongwomen, #womaninconstruction, #empower, #gender, #ICanDOIT, #femalerenovator, #renovation, #project, #womanconstructionproject, #strong, #slideshow, #2013Project, #learnbywatching, #girlpower, #sheetrock, #tape, #electrical, #plumbing, #tile, #dust, #dirt, #debris, #basement, #paint, #renovate, #insulation, #hihats, #wiring, #metalstuds, #screws, #workout, #Johnny, #promo, #videos, #creative, #sons, #discusswithmom, #topics, #Tom, #openconversation, #Johnny, episodes, #LotLizard, #AmazonPrime, #video, #documentary, #Netflix, #gorillaglue, #gorilla, #glue, #spray, #gorillagluewoman, #hair, #hairsurgery, #LosAngeles, #DrObeng, #plasticsurgeon, #alcoholic, #drinks, #testing, #episodes, #release, #soon, #alcoholic #samples, #RevelStoke, #NewAmsterdam, #PinkWhitney, #WickedPickle, #BirdDog, #blackberry, #whiskey, #vodka, #99Bananas, #OleSmokey, #Tswoooh23_, #videogaming, #streaming, #OSHA502, #renewal, #trainthetrainer, #RIT, #Anchor, #Breaker, #GooglePodcasts, #PocketCasts, #RadioPublic, #article, #life, #apprentice, #ComedyCentral, #skit, #JessaReid, #ApplePodcasts, #Deezer, #Podchaser, #PodBean, #TuneIn, #Castbox, #PlayerFM, #iHeartRadio, #Stitcher, #Acast, #PodcastGang, #PodcastAddict, #ziplining, #AdventurePark, #presskit, #SayNoToRapists, #JusticeForUwa, #NotAllGirlsPlayWithDolls #SafetyFirstTrainingAcademy, #Scholastic #nonfiction #bookstagram #DropEverythingAndRead #SpringBookFair2021 #LoveOfReading #Reading #ConstructionTales #books #funny #NYC #podcast #Spotify #VerballyDisastrous #bookfair #bookjoy #ReadAnywhere #LoveToRead #AllForBooks #Adult #FBF22 #LBF22 #BEA22 #IKBF22 #KLF22 #HKTDC22 #GBF22 #IIBF22 #LATFOB22 #SIBF22 #FILBO22 #EIBF22 #BAIBF22 #MIBF22 #BIDLDSP22 #BS22 #BBF22 #HIBF22 #IBTAF22 #IBBF22 #ITEF22 #JLF22 #JIBF22 #LBF22 #NDWBF22 #TiBE22 #TIBF22 #BCBF22 #LIVREPARIS22 #SDLDM22 #HBF22 #FIL22 #IIBF22 #SBF22 #BuchWein22 #VIBF22 #ADIBF22 #AIPF22 #bookstagram #book #bukuislami #bukumurah #islamicbookfair #buku #booklover #bukusejarah #buchberlin #booklove #cher #bookshelf #internationalbookfair #bookholic #jualbuku #jualbukumurah #reading #obralbuku #bukuindie #bukujogja #tokobukumurah #buchmesse #langka #pasarbuku #bukulangka #bhfyp #jualbelibukuonline #onlineshop #jualanonline #booklovers #anresbooks #readingbooks #booksofinstagram #boekuitstalling #buch #bookish #buchberlinkids #tokobukuonline #boimela #lesen #bookworm #poetry #gontor #fbm #bazarbuku #bookreview #berlin #read #writer #berlinerbuchmesse #buchmesseberlin #author #instabooks #boekverkoping #virtualbookfair #bookaddict

No comments:

Post a Comment